Sunday, July 22, 2012

Starting to remember

"I am satisfied that the more unkindly a wife is treated, the less attractive she becomes. She loses pride in herself. She develops a feeling of worthlessness. Of course it shows." 
~Gordon B. Hinckley, "Our Solemn Responsibilities," Ensign, Nov. 1991

photo credit
I have been thinking about this quotation a lot since I left my husband six months ago. I think it is safe to say that by that time, my self-esteem was in the toilet and had been flushed several times. I have often commented to close friends that when I arrived at my parents' I was the "fat girl with glasses." And it wasn't situational. That was my life. That was who I had become -- a dejected, unkempt, homely second-grader. That is how I was living my life.

As the divorce proceedings are drawing to a close, I am in transition again -- thrust into the world as a single woman in her early thirties. I didn't think I was ready, but I am getting there. I have spent so long in survival mode that I had forgotten what it felt like to live and breathe. I am remembering. Slowly.

I just spent more than a month away from my children. To say I missed them is the understatement of the century. Most days I felt as though two appendages had been torn from my body. But in the midst of my personal hell, something happened that I did not expect. I started to remember who I am ... who I was before all the trauma. Under all the layers of agony, mental anguish, depression, anxiety, panic, turmoil, and paranoia, there was a person. Me. I hadn't seen her in a while. She came out to visit during those few weeks. I like her. I think maybe I'll keep her around from now on.

During my "me" time, something else unexpected happened. I started getting a little bit of male attention. Weird, right? It seems as though I am not utterly repulsive to the male gender after all! Could it be? I just might have a little bit of appeal left. And confidence? Maybe a smidgen. And as much as I hate to admit it, a wink from a cute guy at the grocery store made me walk a little taller one day. Getting asked out a couple times didn't hurt either. Why do I hate to admit this? Because I was hoping I could fix my self-esteem issues on my own. I wish I didn't need a handsome man to fill that need. But let's be honest: having a couple guys show interest has made a big difference for me.

I feel like I'm digging out these aspects of myself like an archaeologist excavating dinosaur bones. The self-worth, confidence, and social skills are in there somewhere; I just have to dust them off. It sounds strange, but I really am having to talk myself into being okay with being a person and a woman again now that I've lost my definitive role as "wife." At least I still have the ever-familiar and beloved title of "mother." Now I just need to get to work digging out all the shattered fragments of my "self" from the wreckage.

6 comments:

  1. i can't tell you how happy it made me to know that you are getting some male attention. ready for it, or not. it just backs up what i've been saying to you - you are worth more than your soon-to-be-ex-husband has made you feel, for years. you are intelligent, strong, spiritual, beautiful, and fun to boot. what guy could resist?! i'm serious. and so, so happy you are discovering YOU again. and p.s. i can't wait til the divorce papers are final, so you can tell the old mr. where to go when he tries to pull one over on you. you have handled this whole situation with such grace & class, but sometimes i just wish for a good tongue-lashing. he SO deserves it. :) (if you don't want to, can i???? please????)

    love you. can't wait to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just think, out of the dusty cocoon, a beautiful butterfly emerges. I'm so happy you are starting to see the color on your wings and can start flying soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yah, baby, she's in there. I'm so glad you are getting to know her (YOU!) again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know I'm all about self worth, girl, so this makes me so happy. So so so happy. Keep walking with your head up tall. You are one beautiful woman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Marlee's comment! Ditto :-)

    ReplyDelete