Friday, January 11, 2013

Rebound vs. Slam Dunk

photo credit
People often ask if Jack is a "rebound relationship" for me. Ah, the dreaded term. You know, he even asked me himself once. Rebound relationship. What does that even mean? It sounds so insulting. It minimizes the importance of the relationship to pretty much nil, doesn't it? It makes it a joke, makes it sound temporary, like the person is some sort of a toy--disposable--to be used and then cast aside. Right? So I guess you probably know what I'm going to say. Is Jack a "rebound" for me? Um ... no. Heck no. That is a resounding "NO."

Jack. Is a SLAM DUNK.

It's funny, though. Having so many people ask me about "THE REBOUND RELATIONSHIP" made me stop and think. Is this a requirement for a divorcee? Must I have a rebound relationship in order to get it out of my system and then move on to a substantial relationship? Divorced ladies out there? Or therapists? Single people? Anyone? What are your thoughts?

Anyhow, I suppose I did have a rebound relationship before Jack. An unexpected one. I guess it was a relationship? More like a crush? I don't really know what to call it. But I didn't let it get physical at all. I mean not even a little bit. Because at the time I was technically not divorced yet. I was sorely tempted, but I didn't. Anyone who really knows me knows I'm stronger than that. :)

But first let me back up a little and set this up a bit, because I think it's important to note that, um ... guys in my life again? This was not originally in my plan. When I left my now ex-husband, I was done. I mean, completely turned off. No more sex drive. I mean, not even a little. Ready to raise my kids on my own. Not because I was a feminist or a man-hater. I just didn't feel it anymore. No zing. No tingle. No desire to ever be in love again, to date, and certainly no desire to be involved in another serious relationship. That would require trust, something I had no understanding of anymore ... something I'm still struggling with. A lot.

So here I am in June, doing my thing, and then my kids have their first visitation with their father. All of a sudden I'm "single" again for six weeks. At first I was so disoriented. I felt so alone. But then something funny happened. I was at the grocery store, and a cute guy winked at me. Wha? I was seriously startled. I think I looked around to see if he was winking at someone else, but he watched me walk away, too. And I smiled back. Whaaa? Weird. And something stirred inside me. All of a sudden it hit me: I'm appealing? Weird. The opposite gender finds me attractive? It had been so long since I had felt that way that I guess I'd forgotten what it felt like. I had just assumed that my general style screamed, "I'm a frumpy exhausted mother of two!" And I guess it just so happens that when I don't have two preschoolers hanging all over me and all over the shopping cart, I'm a little more wink-at-able at the grocery store. Cool. Actually, it made me feel a little guilty at first. But then I thought, Why? Why should I feel guilty about a guy winking at me? I didn't do anything wrong. I was just walking into the grocery store. After a while I started getting used to it again. Male attention, I mean. But it did feel really strange at first.

So, there were the random guys. Cute strangers offering a wink, a smile, or a whistle. But then there was Landon. Nice guy, ladies man, huge flirt, LDS, divorced, with two kids (just like me). He offered what most of my friends and family couldn't: a complete understanding of my situation. But, he was also a guy. And, woah. All of a sudden there was chemistry. Chemistry?! I was not prepared for that. And then he started asking me out. I told him, no, not until my divorce decree was issued, and he laughed at me. So then, every day the question was, "Are you divorced yet? Wanna go out?" Every day. It was a fun few weeks. I enjoyed his company. But I never did go on a date with him because the decree was issued--ironically--on the day I got on the plane to fly home. For a long time I regretted the fact that we never got past friendship and my "crush" phase. But in retrospect I know everything happened the way it needed to. Landon played his part. He taught me how to feel again. I didn't know it was possible. And even though we never really had a "relationship" per se, he definitely helped me rebound back into the game. And I will always be thankful for that.

3 comments:

  1. Yay to see you back online!! And YAY to hear more about what has been going on in your life. You deserve to be loved, friend, and I'm so, so happy for you.

    Here's my two cents. I think you can heal and have a relationship in parallel. But as your friend, my hope for you would be that you give your healing the time and attention it needs and not let Jack be the whole source of it. He can be a support and even an instrument for some of the healing (how amazing to have someone who has empathy!), but ultimately the healing has to come from God. You know this and you already are well on your way. You and God have already done amazing, hard things. But I believe that there are more amazing things just with your God that will only magnify the goodness of a good relationship and help facilitate love and healing and connection all the more.

    But don't listen to me. Listen to Him. He'll guide you, just as He has along the way.

    Love you, friend, and welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to comment on this b/c this is EXACTLY what i just went through (still going through). I do believe in the rebound relationship. I broke off a long term relationship (not nearly as deep as your marriage) and a week later was back out dating. A week later!! And I latched onto a nice girl that showed interest. It was certainly a rebound for me. My therapist on Friday suggest i pursue the relationship, as did my bishop, as did others....but in the end, the peace did not come until i let her go.

    The comment above nails it on the head....LISTEN TO GOD. It sounds like your current relationship is a good one. For me, i have to follow the spirit whether i agree with it or not.

    Good luck to you!! I bet getting back into dating after a relationship is mega hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what the previous commenter said "Listen to Him. He'll guide you, just as He has along the way."

    I wish you happiness and I look forward to following your blog.

    ReplyDelete